Skip to main content

What was my biggest mistake?

I've recently learned that my biggest mistake is that bad habit of not believing someone when they tell me their truth at the beginning of a relationship.

Thinking ‘that isn't right’ or ‘I'm sure I can help’ or ‘together we can make it right’ or some such conceit.

So: if I had listened to my first husband when he told me his goal was to go mad, then when he threatened suicide: if I'd paid attention and said to myself: do I really really want to have children with this man, given what his goals are?

I would have said no, and moved on to have my children with someone healthier and happier. Instead I loved his neediness, his brilliance and creativity and thought I could change his goals. I thought I wouldn't believe him because he might think those things but - surely with me as his wife, that wouldn't necessarily happen, right?
Wrong. and it took me a long time to realise that I could do nothing to help this man. Love didn't heal his hurts, intelligence didn't change his goal, working together did nothing but give him a tiny space to feel safe in. He still acted out, made life hell, drank heavily, smoked and was out of control.
So I had to leave to save myself from that train wreck.

Now my grandchildren have a mad grandfather and I'm sad about that, because its my fault for not believing him.

PS: he has good reasons for his bad behaviour: he's an abuse survivor who refuses to look at what happened to him.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ways to go to Hell: the modern offences guide

I'm a convert of Quora.com a community that welcomes questions from anyone over the age of 13, and whose members attempt to answer those questions. Here's my profile link so you can check out my answers to some curly questions. An intriguing question I attempted to answer today was about what things lead a person to going to hell.... and some people made some amazing answers. Here's my list, composed while travelling in a winter rain storm. Raping, killing, maiming, neglecting children. Abducting/using children for sexual pleasure. (Family members are often guilty of this, it's not always strangers) Abusing animals. Discharging toxic waste anywhere. (PCBs are now found in tiny creatures living in the deepest depths of the ocean) the GE designers and builders of Fukashima power plant are on this list: you know who you are. Operating drones in order to kill people. Acting as if your actions have no effect on others or the welfare of the planet. Sit

One small thing

What is one small thing you could say to me to brighten my day? My response   Every day is a day in which you can begin again: with a new attitude: Joy: peace. Chicken Soup for the Soul: The Spirit of America 

Why live past age 50?

Someone asked me on Quora  What's the point of living past the age of 50?   After 50, unless you have a family and / or amassed some assets, what’s the whole point of living? How do people in their 50s feel about their lives, generally? I replied: Anyone aged 50 now stands a good chance of living for double that time. Why quit on life when it’s only half way through? There are amazing breakthroughs in nutrition and exercise and healing which mean that the ailments my grandparents suffered from, I will never suffer from. Ever. There are amazing new people to meet, new challenges every day, amazing things being said on Quora. Over 50 you really don’t care any more about what people think. If you are lucky you have family and friends who care for you and you can spend time with them. If you see someone you like the look of, you can step up to them and say hello. You don’t have to be a wage slave, if you want to start a business online you can. There are even bus